Cape Verde Islands

Friday 20.09.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Tecnicil compensation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:20 am 

Has anyone received compensation for late completion!
Is there a legal proccess to take compensation.

Stog

Post subject: Re: Tecnicil compensation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

I received compensation for late delivery as per the contract. So have most other buyers to my knowledge.
Have you looked on the owners forum?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 pm 

We have been waiting for replies from Tecnicil and Amado & Medina for a long time now, and the last we heard was Tecnicil stating that they were terminating our contract, even though they are the ones who broke the terms of the contract. It seems Darragh McAnthony may be going to prison for fraud, so maybe this is a good time to resume the fight to get our investment back?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:11 am 

Helen Brosnan wrote:
We have been waiting for replies from Tecnicil and Amado & Medina for a long time now, and the last we heard was Tecnicil stating that they were terminating our contract, even though they are the ones who broke the terms of the contract. It seems Darragh McAnthony may be going to prison for fraud, so maybe this is a good time to resume the fight to get our investment back?

Hello Helen how are you going to resume your fight for compensation!
I want todo something but don't know where to start.
Regards Stog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm 

I have e-mailed Tecnicil and Amado & Medina again, and have decided to keep pestering them until I get some response! It's very frustrating being so far away and feeling so
helpless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 am 

We too were led to believe mainly by MRI (who sold us the apartment in the first place) that Tecnicil is a solid reputable Cape Verdean company with a ten year track record of developing quality projects and in possession of considerable assets. But the situation is somewhat different. Some of Vila Verde properties had been partly paid for (e.g. 50%) by investors a few years ago. These investors (us among them) are currently in dispute with Tecnicil who, due to late delivery and sub-standard finish, are in breach of contract . According to the contract and under Cape Verdean law every investor is entitled to receive DOUBLE of all monies invested. Tecnicil are reneging on their own contract by refusing to pay up and do not respond to any communication except when they demand money. I am surprised that people are still completing on Vila Verde when for their outstanding 50% balance they could now purchase a fully completed quality properties in various parts of the world, Cape Verde included.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:39 pm 

How did anybody manage to get compensation from Tecnicil, when they won't even answer our e-mails and letters? We feel very aggrieved that they have pocketed over €50,000 of our life savings and proceeded to ignore us. We'd be grateful for any advice, and eager to join any group action which would be more difficult for them to ignore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:25 pm 

join vila verde owners group. Once you have gone through the joining process there is information that will help you as well as a legal group that you could join.
http://www.vilaverdeownersgroup.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 pm 

I have recently joined the forum and in the same situation seeking for compensation. I was in cape verde and spoke to technicil and they still insist that I have to complete and pay the remaining 50%. How can we get together so that we can get this company to act because it appears they have compensated others but refuse to compensate others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:20 pm 

Im very interested in the replies to this topic - I'm surprised to hear Peters comment that most people who asked for compensation have got it?!? My experience is that Tecnicil are refusing to pay out. We are in the position now that Tecnicil have cancelled our contracts because we would not complete. They also notified us but did so to an incorrect email address so we didnt know about it. They are now refusing to take our calls or answer emails.
I also know that people have gone down the arbitration route successfully but that they still have not received any compensation from Tecnicil so I'm not sure that it is worth spending the money to take them to court.
The legal group on the owners forum deals with legal issues for those that have completed ie to improve facilities/negotiate better terms. I think that there is a conflict of interest for that same legal team to take action against Tecnicil.
I feel like I am at a deadend and dont know what the next step should be - but I'm not ready to give up. If there was a group that joined together to take action against Tecnicil (and share the costs) I am certainly willing to join but I am not aware of one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 pm 

Can you tell me the legal team you think has a conflict of interest!
I would be interested in joining a group to take on Tecnicil regarding compensation.

Stog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 pm 

I am in the same situation and would like to join the group. I just thought it maybe coming together and getting the british government intervention might be worth a try. I know it is difficult to do it alone but if there is many of us, we can give William Hague something to do... we pay our taxes after all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 am 

Stog - the owners forum have grouped together and have legal representation to cover things such as amenities/management of the development. It has been discussed on that forum whether the lawyers would also represent people wishing to take legal action against Tecnicil. Its my personal opinion that it isnt in the best interests of the people that have already completed to have the same lawyers trying to sue Tecnicil. As far as i am aware, the lawyers acting for the owners were never actually asked though.

BTW - have you all seen this website http://capeverdeinvesting.com/

There havent been any updates for a few months now, but there is a petition you can sign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm 

I am of the same opinion. The VVOG is for the owners. Our situation/grievance is different. We have paid our deposit and now want our money back due to breach of contract by Tecnicil. I have joined and paid for VVOG legal membership but have stopped after several months as there was nothing to help my situation. I think we just need to keep at demanding from Tecnicil what is ours as per the original contract.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:19 am 

I have also contacted a current affairs TV program and my local government representative to explain our plight. I live in Ireland though so not sure they would have quite the same clout as Britain. Would someone consider doing this in the UK as well?