Resort Group Furniture Rip Off

Forums Cape Verde – Property / Invest Forum Resort Group Furniture Rip Off

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  dunasornot 8 years ago.

Chap as I’ve read, your furniture pack was sold before the melia group were involved. This new up-grade I’ve read is a option if you want to join the rental pool. I’m sure if everyone stuck together and told them they will not now be joining the rental pool as you have changed the conditions that applied when we signed. I’m sure they have no alternative but to either give it to you at a cheaper rate of free! It may well be in your best interest they have Melia brand aboard but the free furniture pack was not free, it was added into the final cost. Are they expecting people to believe that the total cost of a furniture pack is 30K plus around 20K for the free pack? 50K for furniture? are they mad?
    If it was say a 10K up-grade you could understand!

As with all developments it is proving a owners group is a must!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replies
    chap

I have just had the Resort Group rep to my house about my villa I bought on Dunas.

The good news is – The villa will be ready in July 2011
    The bad news is_ It seems the incentive of the ‘Quality Furniture Pack’ to get us to sign in 2008 is now not what was explained. 30k please?

The furniture pack was sold to us and others I have talked to on the strength that it would mean we could walk straight into our investments on completion, without further expense apart from taxes. We were told that it was of such quality that we could enter any rental scheme with the operator once chosen, again without further expense.

Last week I was presented with a bill for almost 30k to have the furniture pack completed and up to standard! This is 10% of the purchase price for a 3 bed villa at the time.

Everyone be aware of the sales tactics from the Resort Group. There is already an action group who have got together to face the Resort Group but it seems under CV law we do not have a leg to stand on.

To suddenly go to an investor asking for 10’s of thousands extra is a disgusting practice and along with many other investors wish we had never crossed paths with the Resort Group.

Such a shame as CV is an amazing place but there are so many bad stories from investors that it will really taint its reputation.

Glenn

rumple

Fresh from your resounding success on Sambala KK/WorWilly you now want to spread your expertise to every development, are well, it was only a matter of time.

karlking

Rumple you seem to have a problem with me? Why is that? I was directed to this post from Sambala thread as it referred to rip off furniture prices. If you bothered to read posts before opening your month you may learn something!

smiffy

Whatever you think of KK. He’s right on this one. Tell them to take a running jump. Most of us fell for the bull from Sambala about buying the furniture asap to get in the rental scheme and two and a half years on still no apartment, no rent and nobody knows where this furniture is. I keep hearing this Cape Verde is a fantastic place blah blah, potential blah blah. All I see is sharks and a Government and judiciary which is either incompetent or just doesn’t give a damn. They give you a fantastic contract that entices you to buy and then totally disregard all their side of the bargain, but still want you to stump up when asked. If the powers that be want to turn CV into a modern holiday destination and pull the people out of poverty they are sure going about it in a very very peculiar way.

derek009

and so it rumbles on , more underhand tactivs , no help , a corrupt system which will only taint again what is a beutiful island, shame

rumple

KK,
    You take me too seriously mate, lol!

rumple

And you may see from my post on CVPP that I agree with you 100%!

stevec

Chap,

A verbal contract can be just as enforceable as a written one (at least in English law and I would not have thought Portuguse law was too different). I am assuming you did not get this put in writing. Do you have the names of the people who told you the pack would be included ; and dates, context etcetera. If there are a group of people who can all say the same thing and all have details of who gave them this information then it would be the developer/company’s word against all the others. Also let them know that a group of people will go public about their tactics.

Good luck

mrdboy

Chap, I have an appartment on Dunas and am shocked to here about this furniture upgrade cost. When I purchased we were convinced to put down 50% deposit as we would get the the ‘quality’ furniature pack rather than the standard because this would be required to enter the rental scheme.

I am left in an impossible position, I only purchased because the price was affordable and I could enter the rental scheme. What are you going to do?

karlking

Stevec, it is not the contract that is an issue, on any of the development; it’s the developer that disregards it wherever they want. Cape Verde has a very good legal system, it’s virtually the same as Portugal. HOWEVER it’s getting to enforce it, it’s still a very corrupt place, back handers talk the talk there, as so far, in I think 4 maybe 5 years, ON, NONE have been able to get a developer through the court doors! Quite astonishing, when you think of it.

I read in here somewhere a good post on a theory as to why. I’d best not say who it’s from!!! But, it basically says, If One of those cases was successful it would then snowball and Cape Verde would be set back years, and be left with a lot of debt, as developers would just run, and they would be left with huge bills with thousands of un sold properties.

I can’t think of any other reason why the government would rather weather the storm than act in legal manner.

All developers install a fear, the investor stands to lose what they have paid, or the completed property, if they refuse to pay up! The contract usually enforces that belief too. The solicitors don’t help too, very over paid for a service they don’t provide!

smiffy

“developers would just run” or they could treat customers properly.

onlyme

just got back from my 2 week stay in my appartment on tortuga,i also upgraded my furniture pack to join the rental scheme at a cost of £12,000 only to find that people i met out there who hadnt joined the rental scheme had exactly the same furniture as me,we had 2 tvs,patio set,bed linen,cutlery set,kettle,toster,2 lamps,rug and a few small items extra but nowhere near the £12,000 extra we paid,more like an extra £2,000 worth of stuff!indeed it is a massive rip off as you can only join the rental with this so called up grade,they had better come up with decent occupancy rates or there will be lots of angry investors.

jasonfazack

Hi Chap, you stated ” There is already an action group who have got together to face the Resort Group”. Can you direct me to this group? Thanks.

dunasornot

hi

i am just about to pay the balance on a apartment on dunas
    any advice please re walking away , completing or furniture

thanks new to all this

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.