Ponta Bicuda

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jamie 12 years, 8 months ago.

Hi Jamie:- Ponta Bicuda will be located in the S/E tip of Santiago island. I notice on another thread you mention the winds. Cape Verde is a windy part of the world, especially in February and March, and the winds are easterly, but the winds are never hurricanes.

I have bought in Ponta Bicuda, and once direct flights take-off from the U/K to Santiago island, you can expect prices to increase

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replies
    jamie

Just got the Ponta Bicuda brochure. Very glossy and upmarket. But has anyone actually visited the place? I would be interested to hear any first hand reports.
    Jamie

woodfold

Repeating Jamies question, has anyone actually visited the Ponta Bicuda site yet who could give any information about what the beach is like, the close proximity to the airport, the visual impact of the warehouses & shanty town type dwellings etc.

Surely, someone who follows this forum has been or has everyone just trusted the glossies & the media?

As for the wind, we’ve just returned from Fuertaventura which was fairly windy & I have to say it provided a very welcome cooling breeze and something I’d welcome in CV with temperatures around the 30 degree mark, particularly when young children are involved

Thanks

Woody

Woodfold- there is a photo link on the Ponta Bicuda site of the beach and actual land – but if you want more of an island taster – go on the Sambala website and watch the island video. you can order the promotional DVD (i’ve got it) and it gives a great idea what the island is like. a real feel good feeling.

its not in the line of the airport (noise wise), more to the east of its approach by several miles.

the good thing about being on a peninzula which is all owned by the same company is that you know exactly what is coming in your line of sight. (i.e no big hotel pops up infront of your original sea view)

Sunny Sussex goes south

woodfold

Thanks slimjim that was really helpful

The photos have been updated since the last time I looked – The beach looks small but perfectly formed – It could easily become overcrowded when there are 6 communities completed unless of course the private villa pools & communal hotel pools become the location most people choose to spend most time

We’ll have to wait and see

I’m pleased to hear about the airport as we’ve just returned from holiday in the canaries & was directly on the flightpath which wasn’t great!

Woody

i think the beach won’t be much of an option – more of a view , but with the choice of pools , it’ll probably be good for a quick dip rather than sitting on it for say a day.

realistically they will probably develop next to us – so double the numbers – but with a breeze sand soon becomes a pain – Fuerterventura comes to mind.

Sunny Sussex goes south

tanya

Every agent i speak to is advising me to stay away from Santiago!

i have been told that it has a crime issue, it isn’t the ideal island for a holiday home or indeed to live with children.

which leads me to ask the question “as this island is more advanced in terms of basic infrastructure why are 90% of agents and developers choosing less advanced islands to push as investment and holiday destinations?”

How serious is the gun crime culture in Santiago that i keep constantly hearing about? i don’t want to jump from the frying pan (UK) into the fire (Santiago)

optiontrader

Hi Tanya:- The reason why 90% of the British agents and overseas developers are pushing Sal, is because 90% are located there.

Praia(capital of Santiago) is a bustling town with a population of about 100,000….the crime figures are a lot less than any town in Britain of a similiar size.

Sal has a population of about 15,000(although it will increase enormously).

I have just purchased in Sal, so I have investments in Sal+Santiago, and Santiago is my favourite.

brookie

When we had our trip there we spent time on Sal and Santiago. I felt a lot safer in Santiago.

There appears to be a lot of senagalease and other african nations appearing on Sal and that can only get worse as the island gets more tourists.

Santiago is predominately Cape verdeans and they have a vested interest in insuring the tourist are well looked after.

Graham Parker

george

I’ve bought in Santiago and Sal but can say I much prefer Santiago for the longer term and intend to keep my property there possibly for retirement in years to come. Bigger island with greenery, much more to see and do and will never be overdeveloped – resorts will be dotted around the south coast mainly. I bet most agents have never even been there because the likes of MRI aren’t getting a look in. Ponta Biduca is represented by Savills and Sambala developers sell direct. Sambala also seem to be selling units faster than developers are in Sal so that says something.

Personally I’ve walked around parts of Praia and Assomada without the slightest hassle although I don’t see why tourists would need to hang around the towns anyway when the resorts will cater for everything. My tour around the island was breathtaking and locals in small villages very friendly – more so than in Sal. Anyone dismissing Santiago without seeing it is making a mistake.(This probably goes for some of the other islands which I haven’t been to yet.)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.