flight costs

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  mike114 14 years, 8 months ago.

quote:

anyone noticed how the flight prices are creeping up, not much change from £400 for a return ticket,none at all if you count the cost of a visa, don’t think many are going to pay that sort of money and then rent an apartment on top of that. I see lots of empty apartments

Correct Mike and Thomsons seem to be charging the most for flights

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Replies
    mike114

anyone noticed how the flight prices are creeping up, not much change from £400 for a return ticket,none at all if you count the cost of a visa, don’t think many are going to pay that sort of money and then rent an apartment on top of that. I see lots of empty apartments

alberio

that has been the catch on going to cv since forever. there’s no rhyme or reason to the fares from lisbon and the usa anyways

mikee

quote:

that has been the catch on going to cv since forever. there’s no rhyme or reason to the fares from lisbon and the usa anyways

How much is the fare from the USA then alberio ?

pinto

quote:

Of course everything will be more or less empty.

But who cares, the capital gains are guaranteed.

mitchurchin

I suspect the term supply and demand is coming into play. There is so much interest in the islands that it is no surprise that it’s relatively expensive. I say relatively because £400 for a 7 and a half hour flight is a realistic fare. It’s the lunacy of the current state of the airline industry that has lowered peoples expectations.

mike114

Pinto
    whats the point of capital gain if you can’t sell

Mitchurchin
    its only a five and a half hour flight, you can fly to australia for not much more and thats a 22 hour flight.

alberio

mkiee…on occassion if its for only a one wek stay, it could be as ‘cheap’ as $800 – $900. $1150 – $1450 is the norm depending on the season and the whim of tacv management

phils

Hello all, dont think between £320 and £390 is too bad for a five and a half hour flight,there not much time differance so no jet lag,warm weather all year round. 2 people flights £700 approx rent for an apartment or whatever £500 approx, so total holiday cost about £1200 for a week lazing in the sun in nice accomdation not just a hotel room.Or do we want the cheap Ryanair,Easyjet etc flights for £100 bringing in thousands and thousands of tourists, excellant for rental income, but not quite as good for the islands i think.I think i would rather keep it a little select, and take me chances on rental income, than have mass tourism followed by McDonalds and pizza hut and all the crap that follows mass tourism. WHAT DO WE THINK? OR COME ON THE BRITS ABROAD

pf

pinto

quote:

Hello all, dont think between £320 and £390 is too bad for a five and a half hour flight,there not much time differance so no jet lag,warm weather all year round. 2 people flights £700 approx rent for an apartment or whatever £500 approx, so total holiday cost about £1200 for a week lazing in the sun in nice accomdation not just a hotel room.Or do we want the cheap Ryanair,Easyjet etc flights for £100 bringing in thousands and thousands of tourists, excellant for rental income, but not quite as good for the islands i think.I think i would rather keep it a little select, and take me chances on rental income, than have mass tourism followed by McDonalds and pizza hut and all the crap that follows mass tourism. WHAT DO WE THINK? OR COME ON THE BRITS ABROAD

CV looks more and more select…

People who want to pay 100 for the plane (the big majority) will go to the Canary Islands (10 moths per year) or anywhere on the editeranean (8 months per year). the ones who want luxury will indulge in Carraibeans.

After all a flight to Los Angeles might be found for 350 Pounds, why would one pay that money on CV?

Another point: what does offer the 500 Pound/week apartment in CV?
    Does it look better than the luxury ones in Spain?

em

I think it comes down to why I visited Sal for a holiday in the first place. With Los Angeles comes a very long journey and jet lag which I suffer from really badly. I am more than happy to pay a comparable price to fly to Cape Verde. I truly thought Sal was a great place for a convenient week of winter sun.

Question is; how many others are?!…

temple1

quote:

CV looks more and more select…

People who want to pay 100 for the plane (the big majority) will go to the Canary Islands (10 moths per year) or anywhere on the editeranean (8 months per year). the ones who want luxury will indulge in Carraibeans.

After all a flight to Los Angeles might be found for 350 Pounds, why would one pay that money on CV?

Another point: what does offer the 500 Pound/week apartment in CV?
    Does it look better than the luxury ones in Spain?

This discussion has been had so many times before. The canaries dont have the same weather ten months of the year. Winter months in the Canaries can be much cooler than Cape Verde and most see increases in cloud cover and rain. Simple geography will tell you that re the temperature….just look at the island location to the equator.

Pinto, its madness to say that med resorts offer a summer climate 8 months of the year. Ever jumped in pool or had a swim in the sea in Spain or France towards the end of Feb, begining of March or in November?

Flight to LA = 11 hours + jet lag. Flight to CV = 5 and half hrs no jet lag.

Fact of the matter is, people with an axe to grind for whatever reason, will always find a reason. Expensive flights = no one will go. Cheap flights/high volume = too many of the fish & chip brigade will go, lowering the tone.

pinto

quote:

I am more than happy to pay a comparable price to fly to Cape Verde. I truly thought Sal was a great place for a convenient week of winter sun.

Question is; how many others are?!…

There are enough such places. And they offer infinitely much more than CV (which does not offer anything except warm weather and almost unswimable sea).

mikee

quote:

pf

Was looking to go out again in april, as you say £800 + for flights another £400 accommodation making £1200, booked a week in Gran Canaria for £370 TOTAL for 2 people (where it will be 24 – 26 degrees) no contest. And thats from someone who has an interest in CV – its a 3rd world country still BUT with 1st world prices unfortunately and it WILL put people off going there (maybe winter months excepted)

boa

Lets hope that prices for caboverde will go up , that seems the only way to keep it nice overthere, the italians will leave a few brittish will come and i can keep on showing my children that there are places different in the world.and I am not rich.

Boa

mike114

the italians won’t leave they don’t have to pay as much as us to get there.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.