Ferries

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  leec 14 years, 10 months ago.

queuing ?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replies
    leec

Does anyone know much about taking the ferry from Sal to Mindelo?

How often?
    How much it costs?
    How busy in mid Feb? (Carnival week)
    Can it be pre-booked or do you just turn up and hope that your queuing skills are up to the mark?

Thanks

Leec

LeeC

boa

Forget a Ferry with Timetable, Take a shark, this is Caboverde

Boa

leec

LMFAO Ta

Any idea what number shark I should take?

LeeC

karenm

Hello Lee,

The Bradt Travel Guide (Cape Verde) has information about duration of ferries and frequency I think. I would not take too much notice of its description of the islands though.

Karen

thecrock

I believe there is a Dutch man who has his own ship who plies back and forth between the islands. He may take you from Sal to Mindelo, his name is Captain Kees and his ship is the Estrela Nova. I would love to give you his contact details but unfortunately this is not allowed on this forum. This man is no relation of Captain Jack Sparrow who i believe works in the Caribbean!!!!

Ship Ahoy

leec

Thanks Karen i’ll check it out.

Thecrock, Not sure whether to say thanks or not. Check out “Captain Kees” in Google and click on the top link!!! Ship ahoy indeed

LeeC

karenm

Hi again Lee – Have just seen details of ferries (times/days) on “capeverdeinfo.org”.

Karen

keejah

if u want to catch a ferry from sal to mindelo ask directly at the office in espargos (tel. 241 13 59) – they’ll tell u when the boat IS SUPPOSED (!!!) to leave. there’s no timetable but they will at least give u some information more – for example on which boat is leaving next. Make sure u take the Praia d’Aguada, since it’s the best of them all (and get a cabin so u can sleep those 10-12 hours on the boat). Otherwise u can also call the Arca Verde office in Praia for the “timetables” of the other inter-island ferry connections (tel. 261 54 97).

edward

´Anausal´ Ferry ticket agency can be contacted on 2411359 with 00238 before the internal number if outside CV. From this agency there are tickets available on a cargo ship from Sal, not sure exactly where it goes, but am sure you could find out. It is unreliable and just this last week buggered up my plans, but hey, a little Michael Palin style spice to the adventure is a good thing.

Cabins are 5700 Escudos and a reclining seat is about 3500 Escudos. Palmeria, Sal to Praia, Santiago is a nine hour voyage. Nice, high seas at this time of year too.

Cape Verde Property Protection and Security Services.

david morris

Edward…..these few small coasters and passenger ships are what binds these islands into a nation and are vital to the smaller islands and for the people to receive goods and be able to travel about at a price they can afford …charging and unloading in often difficult circumstances…sometimes highly difficult cargoes to secure and then to run into the teeth of a force eight gale all night….so whats a little inconvenience…….

leec

Thanks for the info guys. Invaluable while the info relating to CV on the interweb is so sparse.

Thought we could’ve raised a bit more banter on the whole Captain Kees thing though!

LeeC

edward

Keep your hair on David. Do you come from a merchant naval background by any chance?

Cape Verde Property Protection and Security Services.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.