Apartment – Residenza Beach Apartments

Forums Cape Verde – Holiday & Travel Forum Apartment – Residenza Beach Apartments

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  willimoj 14 years, 9 months ago.

We stayed there on the top floor [ 2 bed] on our first trip to Sal. It is a pleasant apt in a good location. Not actually beachfront but across the road from the beach. It is 3 mins walk into town, and very near the Odjo D’Agua hotel and town beach. Pria Antonia Sousa [ windsurfing/ kitesurfing ] is 2 mins in the other direction.
    Would suggest you avoid the market down the road — very pushy African guys selling wooden carvings.
    The apt we were in was clean with nice furnishings , big roof terrace but no patio furniture. . We would stay there again . Is there anything else you want to know?
    Enjoy your trip

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Replies
    willimoj

Hello all,

Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that has stayed at the Residenza Beach Apartments in sal (santa maria). going this March and would like some feedback if possible.

many thanks

Enjoy

willimoj

many thanks for the info Puff. really appricate it.

Can I ask when this was, how where the cooking facitities? and finally if you experienced any problems other than the Market.

cheers/

Enjoy

puff

It was the November before last. The kitchen had 4 electric hotplates, seperate oven, a fridge, a freezer, wooden table and 6 chairs. The kitchen was well equipped. The apt was spacious and nicely decorated.
    Our apt had 2 air conditioners which were remote control and never worked I think because the batteries were flat— but although it was quite hot it didn’t matter. There seemed to be a problem buying batteries at that time.
    The company we rented through were very helpful.
    No problems at all apart from the Africans [ not Cape Verdeans] trying to persuade you into their shops to buy carvings, pictures. We found them a bit of a nuisance particularly a tall guy who dresses in white and hangs around the market. They did stop pestering us after a few days but we found them pushy and intimidating at first. We decided it was best to ignore them which dosn’t seem right but they are too much.
    Think they are probably illegal immigrants. Hop e you have a wonderful time— we hope to go over in Feb or March.
    How have others handled the street peddlars?

mikee

quote:

It was the November before last. The kitchen had 4 electric hotplates, seperate oven, a fridge, a freezer, wooden table and 6 chairs. The kitchen was well equipped. The apt was spacious and nicely decorated.
    Our apt had 2 air conditioners which were remote control and never worked I think because the batteries were flat— but although it was quite hot it didn’t matter. There seemed to be a problem buying batteries at that time.
    The company we rented through were very helpful.
    No problems at all apart from the Africans [ not Cape Verdeans] trying to persuade you into their shops to buy carvings, pictures. We found them a bit of a nuisance particularly a tall guy who dresses in white and hangs around the market. They did stop pestering us after a few days but we found them pushy and intimidating at first. We decided it was best to ignore them which dosn’t seem right but they are too much.
    Think they are probably illegal immigrants. Hop e you have a wonderful time— we hope to go over in Feb or March.
    How have others handled the street peddlars?

Ummm sounds like the same guy we encountered, gave the same repetitive story it was his babys birthday and he was having a party. Whatever you do DON’T accept any cheap bracelets from him as he will pester you all week, but yes they give up after a few days as you say.

My wife promised one guy (after endless pressure) she would come and look at his brothers shop sometime, and he actually sat outside Mathias restaurant for 3 1/2 hours awaiting us to come out, then got a bit nasty when she said it was too late – so again promise the traders (or their brothers) nothing .. they hold you to it !!!

puff

I agree — this guy fastened several necklaces around my sons neck, which we couldn’t unfasten, and then demanded twenty eu for the ‘purchase’. We refused to pay and insisted he take them back but it was very unpleasant. When we returned 3 months later he was still there wearing the white robes but he didn’t come near us.
    One of the locals advised us to pretend we were Chinese and couldn’t understand them — they do seem to be fluent in several languages

andyesque

Ha Ha Ha!!
    Hello my friend! What is your name? Where you from? I am artist, you come to my shop? My wife just had a baby, here is gift for good luck!

First reply should be: If I am your friend then you would already know my name. Then give him a Senegalese name (they all use English names)and tell him you are from Senegal. Then tell him you are also an artist and can he lend you some money because you don’t have a shop of your own. Tell him your wife just had triplets and you need money for the rice. If he still hasn’t got the joke and still wants to sell you something, act hurt that he is not interested in being your friend just for the sake of being friendly. Tell him it is against your religion to shop and finally, tell him there are no elephants on Cape Verde so why is he selling them as souvenirs?
    I have no respect for people who are bullied into buying nor for the people who do the bullying but all you need is a bit of street smarts to work out the psychology…
    Andyesque

puff

Yeah but it’s good to be aware!

zuirech

Hi – I’m going there next week – 8 Feb so I’ll give you an up-to-date report and photos. I’ve booked a 3 bedroom apartment for 500 Euros for a week. To be honest, I was desperate as eveywhere else was fully booked. I tried all the decent hotels. But they were very non-commital. First they had rooms; then they didn’t. I emailed the smarted apartment complexed with pools. Only one response – politely negative. I was happy to pay £1000 for two rooms but no-one wanted my money! I wanted to be close to the town (Hotel Odjo D’Agua / Morabeza area) rather than in a 1000 bed compex two miles out. In the end, the way I looked at it was this: The rooms in the Residenza would be OK. At least we had somewhere to sleep. I could then look at where I really wanted to be, check it out in person and then check in. The other way I’m looking at it is that we can splash out on expensive lunches at said hotels and use their pool facilities. Let you know if that works.
    My main concern is why the Residenza wasn’t fully booked. It can’t be because of building work – becuuse that seems to be further out of town.

mikee

quote:

Hi – I’m going there next week – 8 Feb so I’ll give you an up-to-date report and photos. I’ve booked a 3 bedroom apartment for 500 Euros for a week. To be honest, I was desperate as eveywhere else was fully booked. I tried all the decent hotels. But they were very non-commital. First they had rooms; then they didn’t. I emailed the smarted apartment complexed with pools. Only one response – politely negative. I was happy to pay £1000 for two rooms but no-one wanted my money! I wanted to be close to the town (Hotel Odjo D’Agua / Morabeza area) rather than in a 1000 bed compex two miles out. In the end, the way I looked at it was this: The rooms in the Residenza would be OK. At least we had somewhere to sleep. I could then look at where I really wanted to be, check it out in person and then check in. The other way I’m looking at it is that we can splash out on expensive lunches at said hotels and use their pool facilities. Let you know if that works.
    My main concern is why the Residenza wasn’t fully booked. It can’t be because of building work – becuuse that seems to be further out of town.

There is building work absolutely everywhere Zuirech !!!

In december accommodation gar outweighed tourists, so it must have taken off a bit since then

willimoj

Hey,

Thanks zuirech, an update when you return would be great.

I’m not really into staying in a building with 1000’s of people in one complex so a nice place in a lovely location works for me?. For me that basically means Clean with a view of the beach!.

How long you going for?..

Have a great time and I awiat the news.

enjoy

Enjoy

puff

Zuirich
    The apartments are in a good location, across the road from the beach.
    Relax and enjoy!
    I think that there are only 6 apartments here and some are permanently occupied. We look forward to hearing from you on your return.

willimoj

Zuirech,

Not sure if you had return as yet but if so would appriciate an update on the apartments and its location.

Hope you had a nice holiday.

Enjoy

Enjoy

zuirech

Hi – Got back. Not sure if you can post photos on this site. But if anyone wants them of the Residenza I will email them to you.

Went to Sal (single father) with three teenage daughters who were used to life’s little luxuries. We ouldn’t get into the Hotel Odja d’Agua so wanted to be as near as possible to it to use their beach club – which you can for 3 Euros per person per day. How good is that? (It includes sunlounger on the beach) Despite the fact that i warned said children that the Residenza was likely to be basic, they blanched when we arrived. But fear not….skip to the ending. They were glad we went there.

Right, everywhere in Sal looks like a dump. The street on which the Residenza stands (parallel) to the sea is probably the best in town – just slightly to the east of the village by about 300 yards. It overlooks the sea; fabulous views if you are on the top floor (3 bedroom apatment, which we were); not so fabulous is you are on the first floor overlooking the building site. But, in European terms, this is still a scruffy street with uneven pavements; wires strung all over the place. But it’s positively sophisticated when you go three streets back from the beach. It’s shanty town territory there; dogs and bare-arsed kids.

So after the shock of the new, Residenza is not so bad. Great location. Basic but very clean accommodation. The walls could do with a coat of paint and the showers give out orange water – so don’t bring white towels. (You need to bring towels – as there is none; nor is there any outside furniture. Odd. But they do clean mid-week.)

We paid 500 Euros for the 3 bedroom place for the week (about £325). That was less than a third of the price I was prepared to pay for the Hotel Odja d’Agua. With the money we saved (albeit that we didn’t want to) we splashed out. During the day, we walked the few hundred yards to the Odja’s beach club – and paid said cheap price. You are also very near the Antigua apartments (which are next door to the Hotel Odja d’Agua) which has a really nice pool which you can use is you buy lunch in their bar. (great view).

Without doubt, the area around Residenza / Odja D’Agua is the best place to be in Santa Maria. You can stroll into town in 2 minutes. (Not that there’s much). At the Odja’s beach club, you are really sheltered from the wind – it has trees and an intimate beach. As you move west from the village towards the Hotel Morabeza it becomes increasingly bleaker and windier. Yes, the beach is wider but more exposed. The Morabeza actually looks like an ugly motel with a nice beach club. As you head further out it becomes grotesque. An endless sprawl culminating in the shockingly bleak “Rui” complex. It blows a constant gale out there; 1000 rooms in a wind tunnel 30 minutes hard hike to town.

So, all in all, the Residenza was a good choice. Basic, clean. Perfect location for town and beach. Where would I stay again. Without a doubt, a suite at the Hotel Odja d’Agua. It’s the best hotel on the island by far. Great restuarant. But if you can’t get in there, don’t head out to the bleak hotels 2 miles out of town. You’re better off in a cheap apartment like the Residenza – close to town, on a good street and sheltered.

If anyone wants more, let me know.

Z

mikee

Good report and pretty accurate re Sal Zureich!!

Would you go back ?

zuirech

Mikee

Glad I went. Would really have loved to have seen some of the greener islands. But no-one to go with. So, given that we only had a week and the girls wanted to sunbathe, then it met their needs.

Would I go back? Probably not. There’s lots of building work, but it’s unobtrusive as so little actually seems to be happening. Around the Hotel Odja D’Agua there is a new complex going up – and one little guy chipping away at the breeze block. Chip, chip, chip.

I think I might go back in 10 years just to see what has happened. I took tons of photos of all the run down streets, three streets back. Wonder how they will turn out?

I can’t for the life of me see how anyone will ever make money by investing in property here. It’s just too far for a quick weekend getaway and not exotic enough to differentiate it from the Canaries.
    Sal’s only saving grace is that in the real depths of winter, Dec/Jan/Feb it can on average offer better weather than Fuerteventura or Lanzarote. That’s a lot to gamble your money on.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.