Cape Verde Islands

Wednesday 16.10.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: water/elecrtic cut off
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 pm 

Hi
Have been follwing site for long time.My partner and I have 1 bedroom apartment in Canna we have stayed in a few times since last june,but on friday got email from solicitor informing us that water/eletric has been disconnected we have set up direct debit with BCA bank in Sal and checked at Christmas that payments were being taken ,3 had been taken but elcetra are saying we are in there "list" of non payers our solicotor will sort out reconnecting for 50euros has any one else had this problem ,our water/elctric had been connected since june 2010.
Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 am 

Hi, I have had a similar email from A&M who don't even represent me any more. I set up the direct debit in June 2010 and checked that money had been taken from my account. I have sent the email to current solicitor Manuel Pina geralsamp@gmail.com and asked him to deal with it. A&M by the way want €100 to sort out my problem! If I have one it is of their making as they were responsible for returning the filled in forms to Electra.

Alyson[:(]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm 

Just checked bank account again on line (BCN-much improved site can actually translate and read it now), no DD set up, so A&M can't have returned the form to Electra. Manuel working on it and will get back to me later today.

Alyson[:(!]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm 

Hi Alyson

Was meaning to ask you at Birmingham but never got the chance.

When you set up your bank account is there an English translation of your paperwork on opening it?

It sounds like its on-line banking which is great if it is, but again is there and English translation or is it all Cape Verde/Portuguese.

Thx Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 am 

The BCN banking on line has improved a bit, I can now translate within my account. My DD has now mystically been enacted and my Dec/Jan bill will be paid by it but I owe from last year which will have to be paid in cash. Another mystery, apparently I owe for the original connection which I paid A&M to set up (including the account initial set up payment of approx €100)I am getting this questioned, but others who used A&M be warned! Hopefully utilities will be re-connected within the week. It is really hard to understand the Electra bills as they are all in Portuguese so get someone who knows to read it for you. All the paperwork was in Portuguese when I set up the account as far as I remember, if you do, make sure you get the Login for the website while you are there, they weren't emailed to me and I had to go in and ask for them on my next visit.

Alyson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 am 

Thanks Alyson for your feedback.

It really is quite amazing how wildly wrong these Solicitors can get it!!

If they can't get a simple form processed how are they managing to complete for buyers?

Or am I answering my own question here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 pm 

hi

update on my water /electric got bank statements from BCA who were excellent got in touch on line and emailed them to A&M solicitors who are sorting it ,but not had reply will email again to mor for update.
Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 pm 

Hi there, just had exactly the same situation! A&M have told me I will be cut off if I don pay the water/ electricity bill, I have asked them repeatedly to ask the company to send me the bills via E-mail. We are due to go out there on the 28th, can anyone give me advice on how I set up banck accounts and DD's for bill payments etc. want to make the most of the time I have out there so would like to get it all organised. Can I contact the Water/Electricity company directly do they have anyone who can understand English? A&M want to charge me 50 euros for payment.So I do not want to have to kepp paying them. In addition the bill is 135 euros but we have not stayed there yet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:10 am 

There is now an Electra office in Santa Maria in one of the back streets. Take photocopies of everything including your passport and the originals. Start all this first thing, first morning, you should be OK. setting up a bank account is easy, you do need €100 to set up a Euro and CVE account. BCN don't charge for transferring Euro to CVE within branch, but BCA have a sort of Visa debit card. If you start early there should be no queues in either.

I am now re-connected, Manuel Pina has dealt with my problems brilliantly. The direct debit is definitely in place and working now and all the back payments been taken out except for €35 which for some reason they want in cash. Fortunately a friend is going over very soon and will sort that bit out for me, but I am definitely re-connected which is a big relief!

Alyson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am 

Alyson, we are also very pleased for you.lol
Bobo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am 

I'm sure you are-hee hee, so is my eldest daughter and my friend who intends to go out next week. [8D]