Cape Verde Islands

Wednesday 16.10.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Light Fittings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 pm 

Hi all, as you are all aware I'm sure, the light fittings do not come with the appt. We are furnishing ourselves and just wanted some info on availability of suitable fittings in Sal and approximate prices. Would prefer to purchase in Sal rather than export.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 pm 

Good idea buying on the island. I have taken over 2 sets of light fittings, both of which aren't suitable. The light above the front door can't hang down as it will clash with the front door, you need a flat light situated there. My wall lights arent suitable because the base plate isnt big enough to cover the hole for the cables! Frustrating.
There are options on the island, good options, so I'd say buy in sal, saves all the chew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 am 

how was your holiday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 pm 

Yeah, the 'holiday' was brilliant. I was at work every day, for pretty much all of the day, but I really love the place. I'm impressed how each time I travel there is progress made. Had some productive meetings, great nights out with friends and fun on my new quad which I shipped over with my furniture. Looking forward to getting back soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:24 pm 

Hi Mark

Interested to know how your furniture import went as we are doing the same shortly. We are using a CV company for the import. Particularly would like to know how it went at customs with taxes etc and whether you had to do any legal paperwork in the UK as we have been asked to do a Statutory Declaration to be signed by a solicitor then apostilled by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 am 

The actual transportation of my furniture and quad was really easy. The hard part was planning. i used Cape Verde Imports, Vikki and Phil are fantastic, I cant recommend them enough. The initial paperwork was difficult, a full itinery was needed of everything I shipped over. On each box we listed the full contents. I'd recommend taking new items out of the original box and re packaging them. There was a fair amount of legal papers from what I remember, and your description with solicitors does ring a bell. I apologise for being vague but I simply cant remember! I've lost count the amount of times i've used a solicitor for CV, everything runs into one!
Once my garage was full of my belongings, boxed and labelled, a furniture removal van arrived and tranported my stuff to the port, much the same as any house move, including the quad.
Around 5 weeks later I went to the port in CV and opened the container for inspection. An import officer opened a few boxes in my presence, along with Vikki, she could see everything wasnt brand new as it was all re boxed! Vikki explained this in Portugese, she did a fantastic job. Later that day my furniture was released with a bill of 35 euro(ish) admin costs?
My only problem was my quad, this needed to be valued, inspected and registered in CV. This process was easy, however the port made it difficult. The port closed one day because of rain! A lady was off sick one day etc etc. It took around a week to release my quad. The tax on motor vehicles is high, roughly the older the vehicle the more tax you pay. My quad was 3 years old so it fell into the cheaper tax bracket. The secret is to get the newest cheapest vehicle, therefore less tax. I was lucky, very lucky, they charged me 1250 euro, based on a £2500 quad.
Vikki and Phil transport all furniture etc direct to your house, hassle free, all you need to do is unpack.
In summary, use a trusted importer, do your paperwork correct initially then sit back and relax, beacuse after the inital worry and hassle it is an easy process, as long as you play by the rules

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 pm 

Strewth Mark, is it not cheaper to buy a second hand bike in CV or is there bugger-all there to buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm 

MarkB
Thanks for that post we are importing our furnitue and are going to use Cape Verde Imports I feel quite reassured now as you never know what to expect. [:)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm 

Imagination - the cost of vehicles on the island is crazy. I looked at a small van to transport things around for work and I'd estimate the vehicle at around 70% more expensive. That is an estimate mind from memory, I was looking into the small ford connect vans. The importation does seem like a chew, but it was worth it.
Regarding furniture, once the initial work is done vikki sorts everything out. Expect to fill in paperwork, maybe more than normal, but vikki couldn't be more helpful.
Good luck guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 pm 

Thanks for the info Mark. We are using CV Imports and Vikki has been great already answering loads of questions we had. Just cant wait to get it in our appt now!!