Cape Verde Islands

Wednesday 16.10.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: INVOCATION OF FORCE MAJEURE.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:59 pm 

I'm sure I've seen something about this on another thread but I can't find it.
Has anyone else received an e-mail regarding "Force Majeure" from Turinvest?

They've offered as compenstation for the delay of Block C, two one week holidays for two people on different islands.
The letter also goes on about cost and specification of the apartment but I don't understand what they're on about. Anyone any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:48 pm 

Force Majeure, is what a lot of developers are blaming for delays, they say the sand issue is one..NOT...the new mayor indicated that no sand was to be used from the island for building work, a lot of developers just carried on, now he has made it known anyone doing it will be fined. Therefore this is not out of there control, they hould have been providing their own sand from the start.

Compensation should be paid, but with all the backhanders don't hold your breath.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:16 pm 

I bought an apartment in Block C and also received the letter with the same offer. It seems to be written by a moron, to say the least.
How can someone be so dishonest? The problem they're running into right now, it's because of their poor management. Had they delivered the apartments on time, they'd have none of these problems.
Furthermore, before the start of the project, Turinvest should have sealed a contract with all the suppliers, paid for it, and in this case, all these "force Mayeure" crap would have no impact whatsoever. It is their fault and not the investsors who has nothing to do with their loss. passing this Loss to the client is beyond my imagination. How could they? Turinvest is treating us like idiots, but the contract is clear, and they can not change it at all, since it has been signed already.

I received the same letter thru email, and I noticed none of those emails have been signed by anyone. Who is sending those emails? Just the turinvest Logo at the bottom of those emails say Nothing. Someone is playing monkey business here, and you can not use this in court, since it bears no one signature. Anyone can send those emails...be carefull in replying to those emails. No one is assuming responsability...

I am sure they're trying to cut the corners here, because it does not seem to come from the office of their Lawyer. I know the man and he is one of the most competent in Cape Verde and would NOT put his reputation at risk with such a nonsense letter. Have you all noticed it does not bring any signature, Letterhead, etc?

I wrote back to Turinvest asking for compensation, otherwise I'll cancel the deal, and invest with some other companies, which are plenty in Sal, Boavista, etc.

I also know from credible source, that Trinvest and other companies are struggling financially. Therefore this is one the reason they making such proposal. If we all pull out of this deal, they will go bankrupt and close the business, because the demand is Low, and most likely the price for these apartments in Sal, Boavista, and the rest of Cape verde will come down. We'll have an oportunity to invest elsewhere at a better return on our investment.

Boavista is far better a better investment than Sal. They have Sta Monica Beach which is the best in the world. trust me. 10Km of pure golden beach...calm, transparent blue ocean, nice and warm waters. Simply the most beautiful in the whole wide world!! Not even the Caraibean can compare to Sta Monica. Take a Look at it and let me know your personal Opinion. The investment Just got started on this Island...

Also if we dispute the compensation in court, they will loose, and all the expenses will be paid by Turinvest. Are they willing to suffer more Loss than this? I doubt so...therefore it is on their best interest to settle this compensations and not go any further. But they're pulling this trick on us to see if they can get around it.

I am sure their lawyer don't know about this letters sent to us. I can tell from the wording of these letters it didn't come from someone at his level of competence. It is baddly written, and it has some evil intention embedded in it.
LET'S ALL SAY NO to Turinvest and demnad compensation as stipulated in the contract, period. I am sure if we could not make a payment, invoking force mayeur they wouldn't buy it. Why should we buy their story? It doesn't make sense. The managemnt screwd up big time, and it is not our fault.
They should have delivered the apts. on time, seal the deal with other companies before the starting of the project, and everything would be smooth. The sand crap is a lie...the machinery to produce sand is not enough to produce the whole sand needed for the whole project. It is just to make gravel which they need during th project, with or without the sand ban as they claim to be. Pure Nonsense.

If you believe their crappy story, you gonna loose BiG. Take my advise and stick with it.

Another note, you can contact the Gabinete of Judicial Services in Sal, and they will take care of it, without paying extra money with Lawyers, etc. etc. You solicitor should provide you with all these information. File a Claim with these legal services, and They will take care of it...

Best of Luck to all of us in dealing with this poorly managed company.

Tropical man

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WorWilly</i>
<br />Force Majeure, is what a lot of developers are blaming for delays, they say the sand issue is one..NOT...the new mayor indicated that no sand was to be used from the island for building work, a lot of developers just carried on, now he has made it known anyone doing it will be fined. Therefore this is not out of there control, they hould have been providing their own sand from the start.

Compensation should be paid, but with all the backhanders don't hold your breath.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

tropical guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 am 

One of the reasons for the invocation of force majeure was the price of oil. Now that this price has fallen dramatically i think this gives our Solicitors more clout when the compensation issue is discussed on taking over your apartment. If i might pose a question to anybody who has taken over in Block B, are you given a precise date to go over and sign or do they give you a window of say a few weeks ?