Cape Verde Islands

Wednesday 16.10.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: compo re completion block B
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:52 pm 

We have purchased in Block B- work now complete and final payment is being sought, however, we too have queried the compensation clause in the contract and have been informed through our solicitor that the developer does <u><b>not</b></u> want to pay compensation. (refuses). reading comments from the forum and people suggestions there are problems with cape verdian solicitors , we would point out that ous is not. Our solicitor has even suggested that our next point of action is in the Courts. Is anybody else having any better luck -we would like to hear from you....

We did visit Cape verde in April and all the building work etc is progressing but slowly - the furniture package is quite good everything you need. Block B apartments unlike block A have had plumbing put in for anyone wishing to purchase washing machines (washing machines where a request from the long term rental people in block A)- we were infromed that air-con is not necessary and with the wind etc you can believe that. Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 pm 

As it is in your contract, you are entitled by law to compensation. As compensation has already been paid in a few cases, The way I see it is that a precedent has been set. How can they pick and choose payouts, if they paid out to others? Your lawyer sounds like a right pussy. His job is to protect your interest. Of course Turinvest dont wanna pay up, but they drew the contract so lets see how it stands up. The courts are in Italy and I can't see how Turinvst have a leg to stand on. Its a simple contract interpretation point, irrespective of fource majuere, (which has to be proved and is very much an problem for turinvest not the buyer)

My advice is get your solicitor to pull his finger out.

And another thing, I bought on (block D) the promise of an aqua park being built, if this is not gonna happen I would expect to be told by Turinvest. Thats another concern of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:12 pm 

Typical.thanks for your reply and I agree with what your'e saying - i have this evening written another e-mail to solicitor telling her to do just that and to also send copies of my concerns / claims etc, to - turinvest. I will keep you posted on any new developments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cathy</i>
<br />We have purchased in Block B- work now complete and final payment is being sought, however, we too have queried the compensation clause in the contract and have been informed through our solicitor that the developer does <u><b>not</b></u> want to pay compensation. (refuses). reading comments from the forum and people suggestions there are problems with cape verdian solicitors , we would point out that ous is not. Our solicitor has even suggested that our next point of action is in the Courts. Is anybody else having any better luck -we would like to hear from you....

We did visit Cape verde in April and all the building work etc is progressing but slowly - the furniture package is quite good everything you need. Block B apartments unlike block A have had plumbing put in for anyone wishing to purchase washing machines (washing machines where a request from the long term rental people in block A)- we were infromed that air-con is not necessary and with the wind etc you can believe that. Cathy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

janette sloan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 am 

Hi Everyone

I have bought a resale in block b a year ago and bought it in the believe that it would be ready last july as it was advertised as key read for then. We paid 103,000 euros for it, 95,000 payable right away and 8000 euros due on comoletion. We are waiting on a date for the notary stage. According to the contract it claimed it would not be ready until January 2008, however I did not read over and left this to the solicitor and only discovered this months later when I had a solicitor friend read over it. According to the contract it would appear that we are due compensation as it is outwith the 180 days. Mentioned this to my solicitor who has not acknowledged my query as to whether we are due anything. Anybody else advise.

janette sloan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm 

Bad News for everyone. I was told, Turinvest and several other in the same business are struggling Financially. They are fighting back and not willing to pay compensation for the delay. Most likely they are trying and dealing a "cheap way out" of this mess. The investors are going to suffer a loss, since they are NOT going to deliver the apartments as established in the contract.

Make your own jugement. As for myself I am going to cancell the deal and seek compensation. It is not worthed at this point the way things are going around the world and in Cape Verde.

I believe the price will go Down, if they REALLY WANT to sell. Not the other way around...

Good LUCK everyONE....
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cathy</i>
<br />We have purchased in Block B- work now complete and final payment is being sought, however, we too have queried the compensation clause in the contract and have been informed through our solicitor that the developer does <u><b>not</b></u> want to pay compensation. (refuses). reading comments from the forum and people suggestions there are problems with cape verdian solicitors , we would point out that ous is not. Our solicitor has even suggested that our next point of action is in the Courts. Is anybody else having any better luck -we would like to hear from you....

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

tropical guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm 

We have also received the letter 'invocation of force majeure' regarding our property purchase in block b and like others on the forum been offered the two weeks holiday for two people as a compensation deal ( which we will not be accepting - ) they also mentioned in the letter "not to invoke the alteration of circumstances and not to <b>modify the price</b> of the apartment".I thought once the price was set and the contract signed there couldn't be any changes - so they can forget that aswell - we won't be paying any more... we have informed our solicitor that we will pull out if some agreement can't be made and this comment did seem to be overlooked by turinvest in their reply back to us via our solicitor. Our solicitor assure us that she will keep trying to pursuade the developer about complying without having to go to court but if he refuses the only option is court...we may pull out first...

If anyone is taking up the offer of the hotels/holidays as compensation - read tripasdvisor first..you may change your mind.

I will post any further info as it is received. cathy