Cape Verde Islands

Thursday 22.08.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Top Destination
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 pm 

Dear Members of This Forum,

Today the newspaper "Asemana" wrote, that the Cape Verde Islands are one of the top ten destinations for British tourists.
They outdistanced also the Canary Islands and are on a par with demands like Dubai, Florida or New York.

Its amazing to read this informations today, and I can merely advice all of you to visit these deversified and fascinating islands.

With best wishes for a beautiful "adventure"

Ariminum

Post subject: Re: Top Destination
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm 

I agree Ariminum, but at present the flights are too few and very costly. TUI seem to have it all to themselves with no competion from other airlines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:41 am 

Hello peter c,

there is also an interesting possibility to reach the islands not too costly via Lisbon. The TAP (Portugesian Airline) offers daily connections from Lisbon to three destinations on Cape Verde, Sal, Santiago and S. Vicente.
So, if you like to visit also this famous old capital of Protugal linked with a beautiful trip to the islands, you will have unforgettable holidays.

Ariminum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 am 

Unfortunatly to fly from UK to Lisbon and then onto Sal is also very expensive at the moment. At least £500 if you are planning ahead.
i love Sal and would go over much more often if I could get flights for less than £300.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm 

Hello peter c,

try to get a cheap flight to Germany, to Düsseldorf, Hannover or another airport, where Tuifly starts or TACV from Frankfurt.
Perhaps you can get a cheaper entire flight by splitting?

Greetings and luck!!
Ariminum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm 

I must step into this conversation, as it is a topic I have posted on many occasions. There is no argument in it. Peter is quite correct, and I am afraid to say that because of the high prices of flights, from anywhere, thousands of people are choosing to go elsewhere for their holidays, or even the purchase of a holiday home. I own property on Sal, and as Peter says, I would visit more ofter if the flights were more attractive. As far as the Lisbon/Sal flights are concerned, I think TAP just think of a figure and go along with it, as there is nobody else to compete with. I have just checked the prices again, and from now until the end of the year the lowest price for a four week return trip is €600.86 and the highest is €775.86.(London to New York is cheaper) There is still the cost of a visa to be added to this. For an average family of two adults and two children, who then have to book accommodation, this is a non starter. I fail to understand why the powers that be do not realise that the more people who come to the islands, the more money which will be generated. Villa Verde is like a ghost town, because any potential purchasers see little hope of letting their apartments with thousands still available on the island. Visa's are required for USA, but they are free, so why not in Cape Verde. I can live with that, but the sooner another airline comes on the market with competitive prices, the sooner the dream will take off

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hello,

I totally agree to the last post here.
A big problem for UK at this moment is the price, while from Germany you get flights between 400 - 700 EUR, the price range for UK is much higher.

Only that the Cape Verde Government has no possibilities to put down prices for flights, it´s just not in their hands.

But one very elemental point in this story from my point of view is the laws of aviation. There is still no possibility to use the Canaries as a hub, even if Thomson / Tuifly is landing on Gran Canaria, you cannot fly just from Canaries to Cape Verde with these companies. If Canaries Aviation Laws would allow this, it could be much cheaper to fly to Cape Verde, as you could take a cheap flight to Gran Canaria or Tenerife and then switch to another plane to Cape Verde. But this would mean drops in tourist number for the Canaries, so I do not think this will be a reality in the next years... !?

Let´s hope anyway !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 pm 

Thanks for that Daniel. I suspect the Canaries Aviation Board would not want to encourage tourists to use their islands as a springboard to visit Cape Verde, so I think that one is out, but lets take Ryanair as the most progressive of the cheaper airlines. They are now well established in Porto, but surely Faro would be the first choice. The airport there is well equipped to handle two hundred people in transit to Cape Verde who would have access from several UK and Southern Ireland airports. It would then be a three hour flight to Cape Verde, which is an equal distance to Glasgow, which they already service at prices of around 50€, one way. I have been told that the landing fee at CV is excessive, but if Cape Verde really want tourists, this must be the way to go. I wish I knew how to forward this letter to Ryanair, but then again, maybe there is something in there that I dont know about. There surely must be!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 am 

Dear carvoeiroian,

Code:
It would then be a three hour flight to Cape Verde
I think, that's an interesting wish, but the real travel time from Porto to Cape Verde is about 4 hours. Only if there are best circumstances (wind from the back) this time can be shortened.
And don't forget the time shift between Portugal and Cape Verde!

Ariminum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 pm 

peter c wrote:
Unfortunatly to fly from UK to Lisbon and then onto Sal is also very expensive at the moment. At least £500 if you are planning ahead.
i love Sal and would go over much more often if I could get flights for less than £300.

Deja Vu here Peter ... haven't we all (ESP ME) been saying that for the last 8 years or so ... I think those that kept on about flights DEFF dropping in price now have to eat their words !!

It was the ONE big thing that made my mind up not to buy, well that and the corruption of certain developers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 pm 

not all devolpers are bad we found oceano azul on main square fatastic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm 

Hi Peter. Looks like Daniel has come up with some answers to your flight problems. Several of the advertised flights with Thompson are below your £300 mark, and I hope word gets around, as more visitors to the islands will be very welcome.
To Mikee I say, there is still time. Property prices will never be lower than they are now, but there are mumbles that they are firming. You and I have spoken many times before when I was known as JB, before I messed up at the change over.
My daughter flew to Portugal two weeks ago with Ryanair, the cheap airline! With a case in the hold, the price was £275. She would have been better off going to Cape Verde.