Cape Verde Islands

Friday 20.09.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Astraeus Flights
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:42 pm 

Does anyone know what's up with Astraeus? They have being flying to Sal since October 2006 and last week they launched direct flights (on Thursdays) form Gatwick to Boa Vista. I just phoned the airline to book a trip to Cape Verde in May but was told that as from 30 April 2008, they are cancelling all their Cape Verde routes due to "operational reasons".

This seems a bizarre decision, particularly as the Sal flights are always full and the Boa Vista flights already seem full or almost full.

This is obviously a major headache for those of us who have invested in the islands as direct UK flights are one of Cape Verde's big selling points.

Thompson are flying to Boa Vista from November 2008 (to coincide with the opening of the new Riu on Chaves Beach) but does anyone know of any other airlines who are planning to take advantage of Boa Vista's new international airport before then?

And for those wanting to fly to Sal, is Thompson currently the only option? I went onto the TACV website but all it says is, "Site under construction". They really need to get their act together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 pm 

That flight from Gatwick to Boa Vista - it's the same flight as the one to Sal as far as I know. We were emailed about flight changes a couple of weeks ago. The flight now goes Gatwick - Boa Vista (drop off and pick up passengers) - Sal - Gatwick. We're off to Sal next week and the only good bit is that we get more time in Sal on the last day due to the pick-up in Boa Vista.

I had no idea Astraeus were planning on droppping Sal.

After first visiting CV a year ago I had envisaged more flights a year on not less!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:08 pm 

you must have missed the previous posts.Holiday options will be using Monarch or BMI. TACV can now be booked through travel counsellors. Thomson will have a new flight from Birmingham in November!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 pm 

That's good Johny. I was beginning to think maybe Astraeus knew something we didnt like the islands were about to sink (although with the Hilton and the Riu and Nikki Beach going there I am sure they would have done their homework). Come to think of it that should not have stopped Astraeus as they could have just flown off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 pm 

The TACV website you mentioned that says under construction is under .com and looks as though it will be a good website when it works. Try the flags in the corner to get English.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:00 pm 

I have been checking out flights to Sal later this year but to go independantly often costs way MORE than booking a complete package holiday - this really doesn't bode well for future private rentals if the cost of high flights continue ... is it greed from the airlines OR are pack/holiday flights just subsidised to entice you to take the whole package ???<i></i><b></b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm 

Hi Mikee flights from Manchester with Thomsons for 2 Adults and 1 Child on numerous dates to Sal cost less than £900 in total.A all inclusive deal in a nice hotel would cost you double that.Not to mention flights about six month ago when i checked were lot more expensive than they are now.

s.harrison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:05 pm 

I have heard that monarch are taking over astraeus therefore the flights for summer are monarch gatwick to sal

jade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:14 am 

Thanks for all the comments guys. It was more Boa Vista that I was concerned about. Does anyone know if there will be any flights between the UK and Boa Vista between 30 April and 7 November? Would be great if the likes of Monarch or BMI were to pick up Astraeus's route but there doesn't seem to be any information out there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 am 

Hi Bert
We are flying to SAl in March it was supposed to be direct but we stop off for an hour in Boa Vista and on return the flight is later from Sal as the plane comes from Boa Vista
Thomson have confirmed this
cheers

jade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:10 am 

OOPS SORRY MARCH FLIGHT IS WITH ASTRAEUS STOPPING AT BOA VISTA

jade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:04 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hacker</i>
<br />Hi Mikee flights from Manchester with Thomsons for 2 Adults and 1 Child on numerous dates to Sal cost less than £900 in total.A all inclusive deal in a nice hotel would cost you double that.Not to mention flights about six month ago when i checked were lot more expensive than they are now.

s.harrison
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Hacker I wasn't looking to go A/I as the RIU's don't really interest me but I can get the L'Odjo Dagua for £720 when 2 flights will cost me over £600 - WHY go independantly with those sorta flight prices .. that is my concern !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:05 pm 

What I should have said £720 is the complete package price (inc B&B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:46 pm 

Mikee

Is that £720 for 2 people or £720 per person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:23 pm 

DD - that is the price for 2 x people