Cape Verde Islands

Saturday 24.08.2019

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post subject: Anyone surfed Tarrafal recently?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:51 pm 

If so, do these reefs compare to Lanza? And are there any barrels to be had off Sal. thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:06 pm 

there are great breaks off Ponta Preta on Sal from November to March. Right now the wind is too low for any surfing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:09 am 

Hi Jamesr, you´ll find a 2page info on surfing(not windsurfing !) in the "world storm rider" guide.
Actually there´s all you need to know about Sal.
did you ever reckon surfing Boa Vista ?
I´ve been trying to find out something about it, but my research brought out nothing groundbreaking.
In comparison to Sal, Boa´s surfing evolution still seems to be in its infancy.
Maio seems to have potential, too.

If you have some surf-related info on these islands, please let me know.

Greets

Maciek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:14 pm 

There is a good right hander in the south west of Boa Vista according to one book. Cannot say how these reefs compare to Lanza as have never surfed there.

Cape Verde Property Protection and Security Services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:31 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
There is a good right hander in the south west of Boa Vista according to one book. Cannot say how these reefs compare to Lanza as have never surfed there.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:44 pm 

do you remember which book it was, that had the info about that right hander in the S/W of Boa Vista ?
The east of the island offers a world-class reefbreak, which is of course surfed only by few and is "as far as I know" unique on that island.
Unluckily it´s directly exposed to the NE trade winds, and consequently rarely working (sometimes in the morning), by the way it´s supposed to be very very sharky.
I´d be grateful, if we could share some more info on the surf potential of Boa-Vista.
Let me know

Maciek
collapsedea@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:47 pm 

Yes, this can be our little surfy gang thread. The book is the Bradt guide, there is also this surf map available:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:47 pm 

Jamesr, which Tarrafal are you talking about? There is one on almost every islands in CV...

About Boa Vista, I have been touring the island back in 2004. Note that I am kite surfing. There is definitely a (scary) right in “Varandinha” (I think it is called like that). When I saw it it was (at the very least) 10 feet, wind over there was slightly off-shore blowing 25 knots+ so I didn't have the guts to get out alone... But I reckon that in the no-wind season (June to December) it must be good for surfing.

The best place I found was North in a tiny village called “Esperinha” (or “Esperagos”, I don't remember for sure). Nice steady side-on shore wind and descent waves. Looking East I saw peeks between that village and “Praia das Gatas”, but it was not easy to find an access even for my 4WD...

Last, “Paria Chaves” has a great shore break.

Amaury

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 am 

He maybe talking about Tarrafal on Santiago, there is a reef there that stretches maybe 1km and also a right hander at the end of it.

Daniel - sorry about breaking your rules about other URLs. These islands are very good for exploring because there are hardly any local surfers to get in the way of, apart from on Sal.

Surfers - it is easy to find the surf map with a google search.

17 surf spots around the islands of Sal and Sao Tiago within the archipeligo of Cape Verde in the North Atlantic, includes two maps and descriptions Plus, a journal, partial travel checklist and a full color map of surf spots for the area. Download now.
This digital surf map and surfing report covers the following Cape Verde Surf Spots: Costa da Fragata, Ponta do Lembe Bedjo, Santa Maria/The Reef, Ponta do Sino, Ponta Preta, Rife das Tatarugas, Praja de Chanos, Praja Da Murdeira, Alibaba, Madama, Curral Joul, Ponta da Fontana, Grijnha, K-Bay, Praia, Palmarejo, Tarrafal.