Cape Verde Islands

Sunday 23.11.2014

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Holiday girls are stoned to death
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:14 am 

Cape Verde Islands-Two Italians tourists were sexually assaulted and stoned to death at a beach resort popular with British holidaymakers.
A third girl,aged 17,survived the ordeal on the island of Sal,off the West African coast.
Three local men have been arrested.

NEW OF THE WORLD,February 11th 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 pm 

Have found another report from the USA

(02-10) 19:46 PST ROME, Italy (AP) --

Three Italian women were brutally attacked while vacationing on a resort island off the coast of West Africa, dragged into the woods, pelted with stones and left for dead at the bottom of a hole, the sole survivor said Saturday.

The bodies of two of the women were found half-buried near a beach Friday in the Cape Verde islands, police officer Vladmir Silva said.

Preliminary autopsy results found the victims, aged 28 and 33, died as a result of head injuries from blunt and sharp objects, the Portuguese news agency Lusa reported. Cape Verde police said official autopsy results were expected to be released Sunday.

Police chief Oscar Tavares said three local men had been arrested and would soon appear in court, Lusa reported.

The women were part of a surfing group that arrived in the islands last Sunday for a weeklong vacation, said Italy's honorary consul in Cape Verde, Luigi Zirpoli. The survivor — whom Italian news reports identified as a 17-year-old named Agnese — suffered fractures and needed 18 stitches in her head, Zirpoli said.

Speaking with Italy's Sky TG24 TV from a hospital Saturday, Agnese recounted how she and the two other women had been invited to dinner by one of their attackers — a man who apparently had had a relationship with one of the victims.

She said the attackers sprayed the women with something and immobilized them before taking them to the woods where a hole had been dug in the ground. Speaking in a stunned voice, she said they were pelted with stones and she blacked out. When she awoke, she climbed out of the hole and walked down a road until she found help.

"I don't know how I managed to recover after he threw a stone at my head," she told Sky.

The story of the attack has shocked Italians, many of whom consider the archipelago a paradise for beachgoers and windsurfers.

The Italian Foreign Ministry said the two women had been "barbarously murdered" and dispatched a diplomat from its embassy in Senegal "to ensure that those responsible for this tragic aggression are brought swiftly to justice."

Italian Premier Romano Prodi said he was "stunned" and "aghast" by the killings, the Italian news agency Apcom reported.

Cape Verde, a former Portuguese colony, is located about 500 miles to the west of Senegal's capital, Dakar, in the Atlantic Ocean.

___

Associated Press Writer Joana Mateus in Lisbon, Portugal, contributed to this report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:24 pm 

I AM APPALLED AT THIS BARBARIC ACTION AND HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM SAL THURSDAY AND WAS LOOING FORWARD TO TAKING MY 20 YR OLD DAUGHTER THIS SUMMER I AM NOW THINKING OF ANOTHER LOCATION AND HAVE DEEP SYMPATHY FOR THE ITALIAN GIRLS PARENTS I HOPE THE CAPE VERDE TAKE STRONG ACTION AGAINST THESE MURDERERS THIS WILL STOP THOUSANDS OF TOURISTS GOING THERE WHAT A PITY

jade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:47 pm 

A great tragedy. We can only all sympathize with the relatives of those that have lost their lives, and the sole survivor.
Having visited Sal thrice in the last year, observing foreign behaviour etcetc, I have previously considered when something like this was likely to happen. Saying that, this could happen on the streets of any tourist destination. All tourists need to be very careful/vigilant. The people of Cape Verde are mostly very friendly. However that does not mean all of them.Was alcohol/drugs involved?! Who is to know!
The Italians have always looked upon Sal very favourably, being big time holidaymakers/investors. Could this mean a partial withdrawal by them? How will the rest of the tourist industry react to this? Will the hotels face empty rooms? What about investors? Could some forfeit their deposits. Big time players have invested a fortune.
I lived in SAfrica in the 1990s. Similar incidents killed a much needed tourism market. It was only after 911 that tourism in SA really recovered. It was sad because the local economy needed this investment. CV is also dependent on this foreign inflow of funds.Let us hope that punishment is carried out swiftly on those responsible(presuming it is the culprits that have been arrested).
I too have 2 teenage daughters.I definitely will not be sending them to CV alone!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:07 pm 

Where abouts on Sal were they murdered? Something like this was bound to happen with the influx of wealth. I send my condolences to the victims families.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 pm 

I'd like to also send my condolences to the womens families. Lets keep our fingers crossed the police have the right people and they are dealt with swiftly.

The last thing any of us want is this to destroy a potenially great holiday destination.

Can't beat experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:44 pm 

Can I echo the comments of THE LANDSCAPER above.

Graham Parker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:07 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Let us hope that punishment is carried out swiftly on those responsible(presuming it is the culprits that have been arrested).
I too have 2 teenage daughters.I definitely will not be sending them to CV alone!!!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote> Condolences to those that lost their lives....i too have a teenage daughter and she is welcome to come with me any time ,however i would not sanction her visiting either cv or probably any other laid back holiday resort,young girls like this are easy targets,its important that as parents ones kids especially ,girls are Indoctrinated about the dangers that lurk around each and every corner
and particulary when visiting countries where they do not have any prior knowledge and tend to pick up with those looking for vunerable girls......regarding punishment its more important the police have arrested the purpotrators rather than just made an arrest to appease the holiday trade..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:46 pm 

Couldn't agree with you more David. It has happened before that innocents have been arrested because of excessive pressures on the authorities to make an arrest! I was considering letting my daughters go out together, I consider them responsible. But if something were to happen, could one forgive oneself?!?!?!?
I have heard from British women on the islands, sadly, that the outlook of CV men on women, is to say the least, different to a 1st world western outlook. That will take time to change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:06 pm 

has amyone heard if these men arrested were definitly the murderos or as someone mentioned just for them to say they have 3 men in custody. i am still in shock cos left there on thursday and walked around sal on my own and diddnt feel unsafe all i got fed op was of boys coming and asking me to go and see their carvings etc now the backlash of this is any native approaching us will be told to B off as they are still more primitive than i thought and dangerouse .and what do they mean one of the girls was having a reation ship with one of the killers and sprayed them with what and a ho;e allready made .i suspect maybe things went too far alcohol drugs etc we were told when we were there that cocaine was easy to buy and the men are very highly sexual

jade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:11 pm 

Shocking news! I hope Cape Verde is not turning into another South Africa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:43 pm 

PRINT THIS PAGE
ENVOYER A UN AMI
WRITE WITH THE AUTHOR
Italian tourists murdered on Sal, one escapes
11-02-07

The island of Sal awoke Saturday shocked by the horrendous murder of two Italian women by three young Cape Verdean men. While the autopsies on the bodies of Dalia and Georgia, whose ages ranged between 25 and 30, new data began to emerge regarding the case that has made headlines in Italy, Portugal and other European countries.

Anégia Pacci, 17, is the only survivor in this horror story that has shaken Cape Verde. On Saturday morning, Pacci told Cape Verdean Radio and Television what she had already told police - that she and her two friends were the victims of violent aggression on the part of three young Cape Verdeans, one from Sal and two from Santiago.

According to her narrative, Anégia, Dalia and Geórgia had been invited by a young man named Sandro to go to his house. Sandro was an acquaintance of the other two, and, according to Pacci, had been in a relationship with Dalia less than a year ago. The group went from the town of Santa Maria to Espargos, and then continued on to the coastal zone of Fontona.

They arrived at Fontona at approximately 7:30 pm. At the spot where the crime took place, located near the beach, Sandro and two friends who were accompanying him sprayed the Italian women’s faces with pepper spray, and then dragged Dalia and Georgia out of the car.

After they were immobilized, the men began striking the women with their fists and with rocks. Disoriented by the darkness and by the effects of the spray, Anégia Pacci was unable to see much, but caught enough to realize that her friends were being bludgeoned to death behind the car.

Soon Pacci was also taken from the car and punched in the head, before the three aggressors attempted to drag her towards the sea. At this point, she lost consciousness, apparently leading the men to believe she had died and to leave her body in a small grove of trees nearby.

At this point, authorities believe, the aggressors buried the bodies of the other two victims, which gave Anégia time to regain consciousness and hide in the bushes, where the assailants were unable to find her. Later, she managed to walk to the Palmeira road, where she was rescued by a taxi driver.

The fact that the crime involved two foreign nationals has given the case international repercussions. Indeed, the president of the official tourism and investment promotion agency Cabo Verde Investimentos, Victor Fidalgo, has already travelled to Sal to meet with local authorities and discuss the best strategy of action regarding the case.

A semana

Dave C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:51 pm 

Yes indeed - shocking news and a sad day for CV, again it is a minority that give the majority a bad name. I hope these felons are brought to justice swiftly and that people are not put off visiting the islands as the majority of Cape Verdians I met were extremely friendly.

As stated it is Africa and like any foreign destination one must be careful and have your wits about you.

Anyone know WHERE on Sal this happened ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:54 pm 

Oops just reread - Fontana beach where there have been robberies in the past according to others !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm 

Here is the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/02 ... index.html

Scary stuff. This is why elements of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation are taking an interest in Cape Verde, and it´s surrounding waters. Some of the west African nutcases on these islands are highly dangerous and should be avoided. I have witnessed a huge African man on Sal attacking 3 other men with rocks recently.

The Italians are powerful on Sal and there is bound to be a certain amount of friction, but this is appauling behaviour.

Cape Verde Property Protection and Security Services.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next